Fairplex Garden Railroad
The Fairplex Garden Railroad
Come see us in full operation every day of the 2014 Los Angeles County Fair!
August 29 to September 28
- Trains begin running when the fair opens
- Two interactive areas are available where children can run the trains
- Come inside for self-guided tours from noon until 8 PM.
The oldest and possibly the largest miniature railroad
The Fairplex Garden Railroad is considered the oldest and possibly the largest miniature railroad of its kind in the United States and possibly the world. The railroad began as a special static exhibit for the third Los Angeles Fair in 1924. It soon became a small, hand built, operating miniature train, in true 1/2 inch scale. The small railroad continued to grow and in 1935, moved out of the Fair's tent to its present 100X300-foot outdoor location where it remains today. In May of 1997, with the help of members of a local garden railroad club, the original 1/2 inch scale was replaced with what is referred to today as G gauge in the hobby of model railroading, and renovation of the miniature railroad began.
Next Run Day at FGRR:
The Los Angeles County Fair begins August 29, 2014!
Come see us during your visit.
- August 29 to September 28
- Los Angeles County Fair Open for free inside self-guided tours every day from noon to 8 PM.